The parents of the subject of this sketch, John and Elizabeth (Stewart)
Marshall, were natives of Indiana county, Pennsylvania, and were among the
early settlers in Wayne township, Armstrong county. John Marshall and his
father, Archibald Marshall, are known to have located here in 1812. John
Marshall was born in 1794; married Miss Elizabeth Stewart in 1817, and died in
1872. Mrs. Marshall was born in 1789, and died in 1842, in the fifty-third
year of her age. There were born to them eight children, five sons and three
daughters, as follows: Archibald and William S. (deceased); John Wilson ( of
whom we shall have more to say presently) ; Sarah Jane (deceased); Watson S.
(deceased) ; Margaret C. (wife of Peter Good, now a resident of Wayne
township) ; Alexander S. ( a minister in Linn Co., Iowa ) , and Elizabeth (who
lives in this county).
John W. Marshall was born in Wayne township, Armstrong county, October 15,
1821, and remained with his father until twenty-four years of age. Shortly
afterward he purchased a homestead in Wayne township, to which he took his
bride, nee Catharine Marshall, with whom he was united in marriage,
February 19, 1850. This lady, born in Wayne township, August 23, 1826, died
December 7, 1882, after a long life of usefulness. After their marriage this
couple resided upon the farm and in the village of Dayton until their removal
to Atwood, where Mr. Marshall entered the mercantile business, in which he was
engaged for nine years, until 1879, when he moved to his new farm residence,
where he still lives. He owns about 125 acres of land adjoining Atwood. This
village was laid out by Mr. Marshall, and he was its first postmaster. He
accomplished also the laying out of the Atwood cemetery, and the organization
and incorporation of the association which controls it. The United
Presbyterian church of Atwood has been liberally supported by the subject of
this biography. He is one of its oldest members, and was made an elder of the
church October 12, 1866. The present house of worship, a very creditable
structure, was built by him upon contract for the sum of $2,300, in 1873.
of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania by Robert Walker Smith, Esq. Chicago:
Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1883.
Transcribed May 1999
by Pamela Clark for the Armstrong County Smith Project.
Contributed by Pamela Clark for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any
presentation, without prior written permission.